Exposing the learners :
1. What is a desert?
A: A desert is an endless stretch of sand with no or little rain fall and vegetation.
2. How many types of deserts are there?
A: There are two types of deserts. Hot desert and a cold desert.
3. Which animal is called “The Ship of the Desert?’’
A: The camel is called “The Ship of the Desert’’.
4. What is an oasis?
A: An oasis is a green island in the middle of a desert.
ANSWERS OF THE TEXTBOOK
1. Describe the desert as most people believe?
A: Most people believe that a desert is always a flat unchanging wasteland of dry sand.
2. Describe the desert which is apt?
A: A desert can be a beautiful place with a home of a variety of people, animals and plants that live in very hot and dry conditions.
3. A camel can do without water for days together. What is the reason given in the text?
A: Camels sweat very little and can stand high body temperature. They can drink a lot of water at one time and retain it for long periods of time.
4. How do the smaller deserts fulfill their need for water?
A: Some desert animals burrow under ground during the day and when they eat other animals or plants they get the water they need from the meat, seeds and plant juices.
5. In a desert the temperature rises during the day and falls rapidly at night. Why?
A: The absence of the moisture blanket in desert land causes the desert to heat up rapidly during the day and cool off rapidly at night.
home work online